For my dissertation, I’m attempting to chronicle the history of sex toys in popular culture. I’m trying to document how depictions of sex toys changed over time in films, TV shows, novels, songs, and any other popular media.
Right now I only have a short list.
The first movie that came to mind is the classic Ryan Gosling film shown above that costars a Real Doll. Then, of course, I thought of the famous episode of Sex and the City where Charlotte gets addicted to her Rabbit vibrator. Following in quick succession were the episode of Weeds where Andy gets reamed by a Torah scholar wielding a strap-on and Eminem’s “Crazy in Love”: “Like a devil in disguise/You’re always full of surprises/Always pullin’ devices out your purse, little vibrators/And dildos, you fucked yourself so much/You barely feel those anymore.”
I’ve included the rest of my meager findings below. As you can see, I’m failing miserably at this task. Please, I implore you, if you don’t perform any other acts of charity this year, you must help me update these lists. It’s for the good of humanity.
1. The Osbournes’ episode where Jack uses a Clone-A-Willy kit
2. The Bad Girls’ Club (I think some sex toy company sponsored them)
3. Most episodes of Talk Sex with Sue Johanson
4. Oprah (I know there were a few episodes that focused on sex toys, but I’m not sure which ones)
5. The Mad Men episode with the vibrating device
6. The sex-toy home shopping channel
Note: I know that I must be missing some CSI stuff, since I don’t watch those shows. I’m hopeful, but doubtful, that dildos have been in The Amazing Race and other mainstream reality TV competition shows.
3. Selected films from the John Waters’ oeuvre
Note: I’m missing about five thousand movies here.